Useful Links: MordorBBS Homepage - Twitter Feed - Steam Group - RSS Feed

Terraria

Terraria

Postby Psygnal on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Steam has a sale on at the moment, so I've grabbed a couple of the really cheap games I've had my eye on over the last few months, and one of these was Terraria.

Terraria comes across as a 2D sideways scrolling Minecraft in many ways. It's yet another one of those deceptively simple games which 'grows in the telling' - that is, the deeper into the game you get, the more there seems to be to it.

I'm about three hours in, and so far all I've managed to do is collect some resources and build a small house. I'll admit that I'm missing the 3D element of minecraft - 2D does seem a bit restrictive, and the retro feel, while certainly having appeal, doesn't grip me as much as it perhaps could.

Like Minecraft, it has day and night cycles, and night-time has the zombies coming out. You need to build a house, and mining is going to feature very largely in your game play. What's different is that there are big bad bosses every now and again, and killing them off can get you unique things in game, such as special items, or even NPCs to stay at your place.

There are biomes within the game where different terrains and monsters can be found - as well as a large array of resources to collect, from trees to plants to various minerals - to assist your crafting.

The crafting is a little simpler than Minecraft. If you have the resources to craft an item on your person, and you're standing next to an appropriate 'tool' such as a workstation or a smelter, you can find the item to craft on a list. It's just a matter of clicking on it to receive the item.

If you don't have the resources, the item does not appear on the list. This has left me on a couple of occasions wondering why I am not able to build something - but it's relatively straight-forward.

There's much more of an emphasis on combat than in Minecraft. You basically HAVE to kill things, rather than hide from them - especially if you want torches, which require bits from the ubiquitous slimes that roam the landscape... and you will want torches.

The game is more action focused, but you're not locked into the action elements if you'd rather play the slow game. You'll find yourself having to button-mash periodically, but if it's not your cup of tea, you don't have to make the whole game about it.

There's also multiplayer support - though unlike Minecraft, I believe it's peer-to-peer based, rather than server based. I have yet to see it working.

In short - it's a nice change, and I do quite like it. For $2.99 it was definitely a worthwhile purchase - but whether it's going to hold my interest long-term remains to be seen.

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Re: Terraria

Postby Cruin on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:52 am

I take it you have not encountered (and been slaughtered) by a boss yet?

Cruin
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. ~ Albert Einstein
Cruin

Postby Gawain on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am

I have also been stockpiling games during the sale, and took a long look at this one before finally deciding to allocate my limited budget to something a bit different. (On a side note I am finally now playing Legend of Grimrock a few months behind everyone else.)

Keep giving feedback and it may be enough to change my mind.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
Gawain

Postby Psygnal on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:03 pm

To be truthful, I don't think I'm remotely close to tackling bosses yet. I've restarted both character and world a couple of times after discovering something new and game-changing, but a few hours in (and hoping to clock a few up this weekend) I'll probably stop doing that now. :)

I understand that the bosses are monstrously difficult in single-player. This isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me.

I am disappointed that the developers have announced no further development - but there's a released SDK and heaps of mods, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Postby Cruin on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm

A very similar game I'm keeping an eye on is Starbound. It seems to be an interplanetary space version of Terraria, but with plenty of unique bits and bobs added that seem interesting on their own. Overall I find the concept of the project, galactic exploration, a tad ambitious for an indie studio, but I'll be more than pleasantly surprised if they can pull it off.

Cruin
Cruin

Postby MrBillwulf on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:39 pm

This is one of my favorite games. I played it last year before the developers added all kinds of new stuff, so it's bound to be a different experience now. If you start a server, I'll jump in.
MrBillwulf
http://mrbillwulf.tumblr.com/
MrBillwulf

Postby Psygnal on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I don't have a clue how multiplayer works yet, but I will definitely have to check it out.
The game has held up relatively well. My mine system has become quite complex, and I'm not getting bored, so I think this one is a keeper.

I don't think that it eclipses minecraft, truth be told. There's just no scope to build awesome constructions to wow other players - but it does make a nice change if you feel like a bit of casual play.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's a way to set the spawn point. I keep reappearing at a particular point, and since I built my home quite a distance from it, it irritates me how I have to run miles in e dark to get there.

Psyg'
Psygnal

Postby Cruin on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:09 am

Psygnal wrote:I'm still trying to figure out if there's a way to set the spawn point. I keep reappearing at a particular point, and since I built my home quite a distance from it, it irritates me how I have to run miles in e dark to get there.

Unless it's been altered, I'm pretty sure you just need some cobwebs turned to silk + wood for a bed. Right clicking on the bed should set your spawn point. Wise move to build said bed in a safe location. Obviously.

Cruin
Cruin

Postby Gawain on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20 am

This does sound intriguing, especially the need multiple players to take on the bosses bit.

If someone does work out how to do a multiplayer game for the Mordor troops let me know and I will grab a copy.
Gawain

Postby Gawain on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Couldn't wait. I grabbed a copy and will give it a go.

It should make a nice change when Legends of Grimrock has me stumped with the latest puzzle. (Level 4 is making my brain hurt)
Gawain

Postby Psygnal on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:59 pm

I just came across an undead miner who rather worried me, but I now have a number of statues to add to my collection. Finding a gold chest surrounded by meteorite ore in the room just under him made for a very nice little haul.

Wooden platforms are your best friend. Before you go spelunking, make a bajillion of them. :)

Psyg'
Psygnal

Postby Gawain on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 am

Rather addictive, although my choice to play hardcore is slowing my progress a bit.

It is annoying to just get enough gold to make a pick that can mine demonite and then lose it to a stupid death a few minutes later...

Mobs are not usually the problem. My last few deaths;

- Falling boulder trap - did not expect that.
- Next character finds one before setting it off and decides to destroy it before it activates. Did you know that standing on top of a boulder and hitting it makes it roll over you somehow?
- Got the hang of spotting the traps - so this time a mob gets me - not from combat though. I get hit by a bat in mid jump and knocked off course into a big pit. Death from falling!!!
Gawain

Postby Psygnal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Hardcore is going to cause you endless issues when you start summoning bosses. :-)

Tried to set this up multiplayer with Jenny the other night. We never managed to get it working. :-(
Psygnal

Postby Gawain on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, if you do get the multiplayer going, let me know, I would like to give it a whirl.

As for bosses, I suspect I will make some softcore characters to learn how to fight the bosses before I try it with the hardcore ones.
Gawain

Postby Cruin on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm

I certainly wouldn't mind giving group play a go myself. I still enjoy the game a bunch, but grew tired of repeatedly dieing everytime I encountered a boss of some sort while solo.

Out of curiosity I once even modded a game to give me the max items, health and mana and was still getting my butt handed to me.

Cruin
Cruin

Postby Psygnal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

I've got the eye to summon Cthulhu, but haven't figured out how to do so yet. I imagine I need to get a few more HP yet. I also have mana now, but haven't figured out what uses it.

With the multiplayer, I think the issue was probably to do with open ports, etc. Jenny tried connecting to my IP address, but it just sat there saying "connecting" for ages before timing out.
Psygnal

Postby Gawain on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 am

Getting the hang of this now. Still sticking to hardcore, but only a couple more deaths. Once when I first went down into the corruption, and once when I first mined meteorite - I did not realise touching the stuff caused damage!

Shortcut keys are a gamechanger. "H" uses a healing potion and "E" fires your grappling hook even if it is just in your inventory. This completely changed my playstyle.

Now I always anchor myself with the grapple in fights to avoid being knocked into pits, and use the grapple to dodge attacks.

This has let me farm the Eater of Worlds - killed him 5 times in a row without dying - so I now have shadow armor and have managed to get enough meteorite for a hamaxe and a space gun. 5 more bars will let me have a complete set of armor which has low defense but gives the space gun unlimited shots.

I have also found the summoning bit for the Eye and plan to give it a try next time night rolls around.
The Eye only shows up at night and will leave if it is not killed by dawn. It is a range monster so plan a missile fight, Psyg. Think quick firing and lots of ammo.
Gawain

Postby Gawain on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Forgot to mention the "B" shortcut.

This one adds one of each buff in your inventory up to the total of 10 allowed at once.

So make sure you have a few relevant potions in your gear and hit "B" just before summoning any bosses.

Ironskin, speed and soup are all good basics - than add others to match the boss in question.

Soup is bowl+goldfish+mushroom and gives a 10 minute buff that is a general boost to half a dozen things, so also good to have for a Blood Moon or Goblin Invasion, too.
Gawain

Return to Gaming