Useful Links: MordorBBS Homepage - Twitter Feed - Steam Group - RSS Feed

World of Tanks Invite

World of Tanks Invite

Postby Psygnal on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:43 pm

This game is proving to be rather enduring for me. I haven't been playing it 100% regularly, but I do keep coming back to it, and it occurs to me that it could be quite fun to have a few other Mordorians playing it, and platooning to help wipe out the evil... totally randomly selected... opponents.

It's free to download and play. You can pay money to get stuff, but you absolutely DO NOT need to - and it's relatively nice and quick to advance to the point where you can be competitive. While people who pay money to get stuff will have a *bit* of an edge, it's certainly not "Pay to win" by any stretch of the imagination.

http://www.worldoftanks.com/ to set up a free account and download the game.

Effectively, you queue up for a game and find your tank in an arena with your comrades. Unless you're platooned, you'll just end up in a random 20 vs 20 game somewhere, and the winners are those who either blow up all the opposition tanks, or capture the opposing team's strategic point.

Games are quick and casual. You don't need to commit to being online for raids, etc, as it just doesn't work like that. Turn up, log in, shoot stuff, log off. Nice, quick and lots of explodey goodness... and not too reliant on having teenager's twitch-skills.

Let me know if you're keen. I am "Psygnal" in-game. I'm sure it will be heaps of fun to play with RealPeople(tm) rather than the faceless masses. I also have a TeamSpeak server. :)

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Re: World of Tanks Invite

Postby Claude on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:27 pm

I can heartily endorse the experience. It's less like COD and more like real-time chess. There are stats and number behind it all, but in practice you see a nice correlation between cause and effect--you'll be annoyed that you let something happen far more often than wondering how it happened.

A satisfying blend of realism and visceral action, and a real joy if you're lucky enough to play in a group exhibiting proper cooperation and coordination.

Always happy to have new names on my contact list, you can find me under 5nuggles.
Claude

Postby Cruin on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:20 am

I may have to give this ago again, even if it is just to hang out for a bit.

The date I last sat down to World of Tanks eludes me, but I remember not being super thrilled with it at the time. My then flavor-of-the-month may have just had me distracted from seeing something I may actually find enjoyable in WoT, and lord knows there have been a fair number of updates to the game since so it is not like it is exactly the same game I played prior.

Cruin
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. ~ Albert Einstein
Cruin

Postby Psygnal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:30 pm

The game has changed significantly since I first joined up. What I especially like is that the community seems more focused on the game and less focused on bitching at each other. There are plenty of number-crunchers too - though I've never been particularly keen on that element of gaming.

(It is likely my success would be improved somewhat by Cruin playing again and saying "NO NO NO!" at my attempts to stick a KV-5 gun on a Leichtractor.)

I've also just applied for the Closed Beta of World of Warplanes - a similar game by the same company. I have my doubts as to whether it will be as much fun, as I can't see any way it wouldn't rely significantly on twitch-skills, which I don't have - but, keeping in mind the NDA, I'll let you guys know how I get on, assuming I get accepted.

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Postby Psygnal on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:27 am

Pwning noobs with Claude (Well... exploding dramatically while parked next to Claude) tonight was a real blast ('scuse pun) and with a couple more of us on the go at the same time, I can see us having a jolly spiffing outing, eh what?

Anyone who's on the cusp as far as this game goes... download it! It's free! :)

Psyg'
Psygnal

Postby Claude on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Seconded. Am finally in my KV-1 heavy tank and having a ... ball? Well, let's just say in a KV-1, half the time you're all

... and then half the time you're all

It's a bit of a gamble. But in between, you get to blow things up and drive through villages. And I mean drive through villages.
Claude

Postby Psygnal on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm loving the Marder II by the way.

It moves slowly, can't drive through anything, and explodes if someone stands on a hill a mile away and yells "BANG!" at it... but if you can find your way to stick its 7.6 monster of a cannon up another tank's bum, it will make them go "pop" with alacrity.

Psyg'
Psygnal

Return to Gaming