Useful Links: MordorBBS Homepage - Twitter Feed - Steam Group - RSS Feed

The Secret World

The Secret World

Postby MrBillwulf on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I have an extra beta key for The Secret World, an MMO set in the modern world and based on the premise that myths and conspiracies are real. The beta is this weekend starting at 12pm EST on the 22nd.
MrBillwulf
http://mrbillwulf.tumblr.com/
MrBillwulf

Re: The Secret World

Postby Cruin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:53 pm

I think I'll be staying away from this one. My current enthrallment of Guild Wars 2 notwithstanding, I'm not a big fan of FunCom. Or maybe it just comes down to how supremely disappointing Age of Conan was after all the hype FunCom drummed up prior to it's launch.

I can at least give them props for a unique setting. Well sorta. Not really. At least it is unique compared to the rest of the MMOs around. Yay?

Cruin
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. ~ Albert Einstein
Cruin

Postby Psygnal on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 pm

There have been a couple of modern world MMOs. One was a Real Money one with an exchange rate... Damned if I can remember what it was called, but I do remember it was widely panned since the exchange rate kept changing.

The premise of Secret World reminds me of Shadowrun quite a bit. Again, being jaded and cynical about Conan myself, I may wait this one out too.

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Postby Cruin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:56 am

Interestingly enough the subscription has been dropped from TSW. It looks like it's going with a buy2play model, like GW2. The devs, despite some earlier layoffs, are still talking regular smaller episodic updates - those I assume are where they'll monetize the game along with vanity stuff.

Overall this certainly makes it a touch more appealing, but I'm still not about to rush out and pick up a copy. Now if it shows up super cheap somewhere, I might reconsider. A part of me is slightly worried that it might go belly up over the near future.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. ~ Albert Einstein
Cruin

Return to Gaming