Useful Links: MordorBBS Homepage - Twitter Feed - Steam Group - RSS Feed

Warlords-style Browser Game

Warlords-style Browser Game

Postby MrBillwulf on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:18 pm

These guys are making a Warlords-style game that runs in a browser window:

http://www.warbarons.com/about.php

Warlords was a turn-based fantasy strategy game that spawned several sequels and had quite a following. Unlike a lot of games in this genre, combat was not tactical, that is, you didn't position your pieces on a battlefield or grid. Instead, you created stacks of up to eight units, often containing a powerful hero. Each unit conferred a particular bonus or ability to your stack. The aim was to create formidable stacks. It was quite nice for those of us who prefer general strategy over tactical strategy (such as myself).

Warbarons, the aforementioned browser game, is in open beta. When I get the time to give it try, I'll post some more on how the game plays.
MrBillwulf
http://mrbillwulf.tumblr.com/
MrBillwulf

Re: Warlords-style Browser Game

Postby Psygnal on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Please do. I loved the old Amiga Warlords game. I remember many hours of hot-seat multiplayer mayhem with Hobbit and Wolf. Damn, it's weird to think how long ago that was.

I was terrible at it, unless I was being particularly devious (I do vaguely recall sacking one of Hobbit's cities after promising not to) but it was definitely good for a laugh.

I hope this doesn't turn into vaporware. It worries me that they've changed what they want to do - but the fact that they're in open beta means they're a fair chunk of the way there.

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Postby Gawain on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:34 am

I also spent many hours on the Warlords games.

This will be worth watching.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
Gawain

Postby MrBillwulf on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:30 pm

I''m still planning on checking this one out, but for some inexplicable reason, I'm enjoying the new Warhammer Space Marine game. I say "inexplicable," because I often rant about over-produced, linear, hyper-violent games. And yet here I am, slicing Orks with a chainsaw sword and enjoying the game immensely.
MrBillwulf
MrBillwulf

Postby Psygnal on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Hmmm. I'm a bit of a fan of the 40k universe, for all its foibles, but that game did strike me as a bit iffy. Worth the effort, huh?

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Postby MrBillwulf on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 am

I know very little about the Warhammer universe, so I can't say whether or not the game does justice to it (Total Biscuit seems to think it does). What I'm liking is that the combat is simple, yet tactical. Even when there's a lot of action on screen, combat is fairly deliberate. "Q" throws a grenade, the right mouse button shoots a ranged weapon, and the LMB wields your melee weapon. It's pretty elegant.
MrBillwulf
MrBillwulf

Postby Hobbit on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:59 am

Psygnal wrote:Please do. I loved the old Amiga Warlords game. I remember many hours of hot-seat multiplayer mayhem with Hobbit and Wolf. Damn, it's weird to think how long ago that was.

I was terrible at it, unless I was being particularly devious (I do vaguely recall sacking one of Hobbit's cities after promising not to) but it was definitely good for a laugh.

Psyg'

Ah, how times change. To think I actually *believed* you back then; what the hell was I thinking?!

As for how long ago that was...it feels like eons. In reality, it was probably...ooh...a mere 18 years or so ago. Back in the days of Boswell, wasn't it?
"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?" ~W.C. Fields
Hobbit

Postby Psygnal on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:42 pm

It was indeed... on the Amiga upstairs though, if memory serves, for that particular game... rather than downstairs with the moth port.

Psyg'
Psygnal

Postby MrBillwulf on Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm

I forgot about this game, but Rock, Paper, Shotgun just did an article about it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05 ... warbarons/

The developers just raised their goal of $6000 on Kickstarter, so it looks like the game is a go.
MrBillwulf
MrBillwulf

Postby Gawain on Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 am

Nice, now to be patient while thwy actualy make it.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
Gawain

Postby Psygnal on Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 pm

PATIENCE IS SOMETHING WHAT HAPPENS TO THEM OTHER PEOPLE!
Psygnal

Postby Cruin on Fri May 18, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm not even looking at this game just yet. I have too many kickstarter games I'm already waiting to be developed. I will however check it out once it is fully finished. Sounds fun!

Cruin
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. ~ Albert Einstein
Cruin

Return to Gaming