Useful Links: MordorBBS Homepage - Twitter Feed - Steam Group - RSS Feed

Age of Conan

Age of Conan

Postby Psygnal on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Following in an increasingly long line of MMO games switching from Subscription to Free To Play business models, Age of Conan caught my interest.

When this game was released, it sounded pretty good, and while I was at the time hooked on World of Warcraft, I seriously considered jumping ship and giving the new guy on the block a try. I've been a fan of Conan for decades.

Even before the movies, I was a big fan of Robert E Howard's books, and later Robert Jordan produced a moderately enjoyable series in between failing to complete his increasingly dull epic Wheel of Time saga.

Ultimately, the price put me off... but as soon as I found they'd switched to Free To Play, I decided I really had to give it a go.

It's a bit disappointing, to be honest. I mean, it's pretty enough, but there's nothing new here. Even the much vaunted combat system seems... well, just a bit of an embuggerance, really. It seems like they've taken the quest system from Warcraft, combined it with the instancing of Dungeons and Dragons Online, and... well, pretty much left it at that.

Still, I'm only level 8, and have only been playing it for a few hours... but I am not gripped. I'll give it until level 10, and then if I'm not enthused, I'll give it the flick, I think.

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Return to Gaming