Useful Links: MordorBBS Homepage - Twitter Feed - Steam Group - RSS Feed

Mass Effect Trek?

Mass Effect Trek?

Postby Psygnal on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:22 am

A Star Trek clone of Mass Effect? I can live with that. There are two genres that have been screaming out for collision - but given that Trek seems to be very much into resting on it's laurels when it comes to other media than TV and... well, every second movie... will it actually be worth the effort.

Given Trek's recent reboot (hence the new Kirk and Spock in the video clip) I can only hope that they've learned their lesson and actually put some time and effort into this, rather than simply slapping together a B-grade game and branding it as "Star Trek".

What would really sell this game to me, however, would be if they'd let you choose whether you wanted to play as new reboot Kirk or old-school Shatner Kirk. Admittedly, one might have to be pudgier and run slower - but if they can have a choice of main characters in Mass Effect, just imagine how cool it would be if they did the same thing in the new Trek game.

This is, however, one of those games that I'll wait to play. Given the history of Star Trek gaming on PC and consoles, there's no way in hell I'll be pre-ordering this puppy.

Psyg'
"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"
Psygnal

Re: Mass Effect Trek?

Postby Cruin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:47 pm

From the little I've heard about this, it's also supposed to be very heavy on two-man team co-op for the campaign (how that works when solo is something they hadn't elaborated on at the time, but rumored to be AI controlled). Such as it requires both players to work towards the same goal, but often in different locations - i.e. Spock goes to A to push button that opens door at B for Kirk to run through (I seriously hope they are more creative than my example, haha).

It could be one of those mechanics that break or make the game. Seems all to normal these days. Focusing on one minor idea as a focal point to make a new IP stand out, but ignore adding fun into the general gameplay and controls.

Cruin
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. ~ Albert Einstein
Cruin

Return to Gaming